The genesis of Britvic was to provide consumers with an affordable source of vitamins. Today, our consumers face different health challenges, particularly obesity. We’ve never forgotten our history and today we do our best to make it easier for our consumers to make healthier choices and live healthier lives.
Our health strategy focuses on the role we can play in providing a wide range of soft drinks to suit all needs and tastes. We don't believe in taking away choice or telling consumers what to do; we believe in creating fantastic tasting drinks that mean there’s no choice to make between drinks that taste great and are better for you.
We’ve led the way when it comes to innovation and reformulation to ensure a strong portfolio of low and no calorie drinks and 98% of Britvic owned drinks made and sold in Great Britain and Ireland are low or no calorie. We’re committed to going further with a global target of fewer than 30 calories per 250ml serve by 2025.
We’re making progress against this target through a health strategy that focuses on three key activities:
- Reformulating our drinks with no compromise on taste or quality.
- Continual innovation in our products and ranges.
- Using the power of our brands responsibly to educate and motivate consumers.
We’re also proud of what we’ve already achieved. We were one of the first soft drinks companies in the UK to introduce traffic light nutritional information on packaging. This gives consumers easy access to the information they need to make informed choices about what they’re drinking.
The same thinking is behind our work with The Vegetarian Society. 100% of the drinks we make and sell in Great Britain are suitable for vegetarians and the vast majority are suitable for vegans too. Where one of our brands is suitable for vegetarians and vegans and has met the Society’s strict criteria, we’re proud to display this accreditation. You’ll find their stamp of approval on our brands page and, where space allows, on our packaging.
Marketing, especially great marketing, can have a huge influence on people so we’re committed to marketing our drinks responsibly. We believe that any of our drinks can be enjoyed as part of a balanced diet and healthy lifestyle. However, we aim to encourage positive behaviour change and recognise that our brands can play a powerful role in supporting this ambition.
Our responsible marketing code sets out the rules we follow when marketing our brands across the world. The code means we:
- Never feature anyone under 25 in adverts where our products are mixed with alcohol.
- Don’t target these adverts at anyone younger than the legal purchase age for alcohol.
- Won’t advertise our products in any media that directly targets children under 12, and won’t use celebrities, licensed characters or movie tie-ins whose primary appeal is to children under 12.
- Don’t advertise high sugar products to under 16s in Great Britain and, where available, always lead with the no sugar option.
- Will only promote water brands in schools and, even then, only with the permission of the school.